Sunday, February 7, 2021

From Sleep

 



From Sleep


Undrape! you are not guilty to me, nor stale, nor discarded.

                                                            Walt Whitman


I imagine you

are sleeping I imagine you are

waking I imagine

you are muscled as muscled as any

    cephalopod urgently called

    forward along the bottoms of small

    foreign spots: now glassless (I 

    imagine the pressure, don't you?) port

    -holes key discretely re

    -maining and all the sea

    easing in and out as freely

    as sleep.  Tucked each and all

        in our own houses of skin

        our leg muscle seizes

        we reach to relieve

        to press and knead

        (see: beneath the femur

        a liberated fibula)

        above our feet that in

        our sleep as in our day

        lays straight and stays

        our standing straight

I imagine you

waking and taking 

the heal of your hand

to your stiff calf (mass

                            age) (mass

                                     age)

squeezing sleep

easing, after being beneath...or please

let me.

No comments:

Post a Comment